Updating your iOS device can ensure you to enjoy the new features that allow you play more with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. So far, there are two ways provided for iDevice users to update the device, that is, update device through Wi-Fi or with iTunes.
Before you update your device, you should do some preparation:
1. Back up your iPhone to iCloud
or back up your iPhone to iTunes
2. Make sure your device has enough available space to install the update. Use iTunes to update if you don't have enough space, or remove content from your device. Tap "Settings > General > Usage
" to see how much space your content uses.
First way: Update your device wirelessly
It is the easiest way to update your device, and it is also called "over the air
". Here are the detailed steps:
1. Plug in your device to a power source.
2. Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
3. Tap "Download and Install
" to download the update. Updates might download automatically while your device is connected to Wi-Fi and a power source.
4. Tap "Install
" when the download completes, or tap "Later
" to install the update later.
Some iOS updates are not available as over-the-air updates. VPN or proxy connections may prevent your device from contacting the iOS update servers.
Second way: Update your device by using iTunes
If you are lack of the conditions to update your device by Wi-Fi, or you just want to update device by iTunes, do as the following steps:
1. If you use your device's Personal Hotspot for your computer's Internet connection, update your device wirelessly or connect your computer to another network.
2. Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
3. Plug in your device to your computer.
4. In iTunes, select your device.
5. In the Summary pane, click "Check for Update
6. Click "Download and Update